Page 1 of 1

Sharing databases

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:34 pm
by Clean
I'm not sure about site (PS specifically) rules or their T&C would allow this...

Is it possible? I read somewhere that you can put make your database accessible online, ie play on your laptop using the db from your desktop.
Is this in any way possible to share between different players?
Also, if possible, is there a way to make it secure so that only you and a friend could access it?

I have a few friends that I wouldn't mind making a joint database with, or just having access to each other's db's...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sharing databases

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 pm
by Josh
I'll have to talk to Derek about this, but I don't think this is something we want discussed here. These kind of things are frowned upon by the poker sites.

Re: Sharing databases

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:15 pm
by _dave_
yeah, it is doable (postgres is a network database ldo) but IIRC pretty wrong. Certainly not allowed on Stars, FTP where you can datamine as much as you like I'm no so sure - but then with unlimited datamining - there would be no need to share databases, eh? so yeah, not a good idea.

Re: Sharing databases

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 pm
by Clean
Well it sounds like this is right alongside datamining in terms of legality on stars, so maybe not such a good idea then.

Thanks for the input.

Re: Sharing databases

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:24 am
by ptdatabase
I just started up a website ([removed]) to facilitate the sharing of databases. There is more info there, and it's free (so not really spamming, I hope anyway).

Cheers

Re: Sharing databases

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:51 am
by Josh
Unfortunately, most sites frown upon this kind of thing. Therefore, we cannot let you post your link publicly. If anyone is interested in your service, they can PM you for the link.