Page 1 of 1

lost my password

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:44 pm
by grandmelon
posted this on 2+2 but figured id get a better response here

ok this might be a really retarded question but whatever

So i downloaded PT3(the postgresql one) and when it goes to open it has this little box asking to configure postgresql server configurations. It asks for a password and I cant remember what it is. Im pretty sure when i set it up I used some default password so I have no idea what it is.

Is there a way to recover this password?

Re: lost my password

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:46 pm
by _dave_
heh, I answered you on 2p2 a while ago :(

If you have postgres installed already, you should use the *without* installer.

That doesn't help you with a lost password though - for that you should change 127.0.0.1/32 authentication from "md5" to "trust" in pg_hba.conf - that way it will not need the correct password.

Re: lost my password

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 pm
by grandmelon
thanks dave, i tried downloading the nonpostgresql one but it did the same thing. I see the pga_hba.conf file thingy but when I click on it it doesnt open.

Sorry Im really bad with computers and dont understand what kind of file this is

Re: lost my password

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:42 pm
by _dave_
Do "Start -> Programs -> postgresql 8.x -> Configuration files -> Edit pg_hba.conf".

it should open in notepad.

change the md5 -> trust for 127.0.0.1/32, save & reboot your computer. It then won't matter what postgres password you give it :)