How often should you cluster?

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

How often should you cluster?

Postby sudic » Sat May 17, 2008 3:46 pm

I import one file.
Acutally the file was a duplicate and the status windows says
'import complete. o hands in 1 file wee imported'.

I didn't realize those
-bleep on completion
-Cluster on complation
-analyze in completion
buttons were checked.

It took over 6 hours to complete Clustering when ther wasn't any changes!
sudic
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:39 am

Re: How often should you cluster?

Postby prajna » Sat May 17, 2008 4:57 pm

When did you cluster before that?

~ Thomas
[Pokertracker support]
prajna
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Re: How often should you cluster?

Postby WhiteRider » Sat May 17, 2008 6:16 pm

The recommendation is to cluster about every 50k hands.
It will cluster your whole DB, so if it's large you really shouldn't do it after every little import.
Edit: some housekeeping functionality will be added to allow these things to be done periodically, or overnight automatically.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: How often should you cluster?

Postby sudic » Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 pm

It was the first time I clustered.

I had attempted to import data in a DB before but I kept running out of disk space.

So I created a new directory on a different drive, created new tablespace, copied scheme, created new DB from orignal PT3 scheme.

I didn't realize that the data would come over too.

But that was cool.

Then I copied that 1 file and the clustering started.

Everything seems to work fine and I'm in the processs of reimporting the data that I was importing when I ran out of space on the other drive.

Manual importing seems to be a lot faster than it was in PT2.

I love that.

In the future I will 'cluster' overnight.

I converted my PT2 DB but I did not like the results.

I think my PT2 DB was in pretty bad shape.

Importing the data from HH files is definitely the best.

Well at least for me it was.

It's going to take me a couple of days to get everything the way I want it but I think it'll be fine after that.

Good luck to all!
sudic
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:39 am


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests